Thursday, April 30, 2009

Internet Security

I want to take the time to give a great big, "shove off,"....trying to remain family friendly....out there to all of you computer hackers and spy ware developers who have made Internet security so amazingly frustrating.

Example: One of the activities in my life that I need to do each day...can you tell I'm being discrete just in case I now draw the attention of Internet criminals...requires a password. Fine. But every 3 months...roughly 90 days I need to change it. Fine. But because internet security is so an apparent problem, its a huge pain in the rear. Here are the requirements for the system I'm referring to, for a new password:

  1. Must be between 8-12 characters. No more; no less.
  2. Must contain at least one capital letter.
  3. Must contain at least one number.
  4. Must contain at least one mark of punctuation.
  5. Must not contain any actual word.
  6. Must not be similar to any previous password.

You try to come up with something your going to remember. We all make our passwords things we won't easily forget, and use words or numbers that are especially meaningful to us. Every time I try to make a new password with those parameters, it's like a crap shoot and I get horribly frustrated. Then, since the password's so out there and random, I forget it and almost break my computer trying to remember it. Don't even think about clicking on "Forget Your Password?" because they pretty much want you to donate a DNA sample just to prove that it's you, and I'm just not capable of that at 7:30 in the morning. They don't even provide a magazine. Are things really that bad out there with identity theft? Why need things be so ridiculous? Why after 90 days when I finally remember the stupid thing must I change it? And cannot contain any actual word?

Therefore you'll find my amusement when after about an hour of trying to make a new one, I just gave up and typed "F***You6969!" and it was accepted. Yes, I changed it. I didn't want something to go wrong with my account which would force me to go to the tech department and repeat that password to them out out. Just the irony I suppose.

Any readers out there have any password woes? Let us know by relating your own tales in the comments section.

1 comment:

  1. You're right- you should have changed it. I would have guessed that in a second if I wanted to crack in your account.

    I usually like consistancy with my passwords for various things, even if it reguires a bit of altering. However, it seems that the once routine and traditional must change in an ever changing world....cyber world anyway.

    ReplyDelete